The One-week October Rodeo
It’s been one hell of a week – we added over a thousand new users to the site, and blasted straight through the 80,000 submission mark: all thanks to you!
We’re continuing to make progress on improving Furry Network, and working through the features needed for launch. This was our first real load test, where we got to try the site under real, heavy load – and it was invaluable in tracking down performance bottlenecks. We found several!
We were very happy with how the site performed under load – it slowed down, but did not break – and everything kept working. We’re confident that this robustness will be useful in ensuring that Furry Network stays online when you need it most!
We had an unbelievable response on Monday night when we announced we’d stop handing out keys – issuing a whopping 514 keys in 6 hours, 21 minutes. Seeing your enthusiasm and passion for Furry Network, as well as all your praise and constructive comments, was absolutely wonderful – you are what drives us, and we thank you!
As Furry Network’s beta has grown to a scale where handing out beta keys by hand to survey respondents and via social media is no longer scalable, we’re switching gears and moving towards a more automated ‘request a key’ system. As of tomorrow morning, you will be able to request a Furry Network key from us from our homepage, where you’ll be entered into a list, and automatically receive a key via email as we push them out to more users.
To sign up for a key, simply enter your email address into the form on our homepage. We will send you an email with your beta key, on a first-come, first-served basis. We expect to be issuing them in waves of a few hundred at a time – both to avoid overloading the site, and to ensure we can give you great follow-up support with getting started on Furry Network via social media.
Thank you EVERYONE for your interest in our beta – we did not expect this kind of response, particularly for a site which two months ago, had just 40 users. We are as excited as you are for the opportunities the future presents!
We did another update this week – and implemented some much-requested features:
Find your friends on Furry Network!
You can now search for users on Furry Network by name!
Tag UI Improvements
Tags are now shown alphabetically, with a vertical toggle. This makes it easier to find what you’re looking for in the tag list.
File sizes and supported types are now displayed as upload requirements in submission manager and for banner/avatar uploads.
We’ve had blacklist functionality for some time now, but now it’s got its own section under ‘Content Settings’, in the user settings panel! This is in preparation for an upcoming ‘default blacklist’ update, where a list of tags ‘hidden by default’ will be shown (and easily shown if you wish).
We made some huge improvements to the amount of CPU the site uses on our servers. This means the site can handle more users at the same time, and will work faster for everyone – and thus will allow us to give out more beta keys!
- There is currently no way to delete characters. This is by far the most reported issue, and we’re working on a fix.
- The site importer is still under heavy load, and it can take some time for your import to go through. Be patient – it queues requests, and it may take several hours during busy times for your job to make it to the front of the line. We’re adding additional capacity to help with this, but please be patient!
- Story and Multimedia support for GIFs, video and audio content is coming soon!
- Once you enter in a username into the import tool, it can’t be changed.
- A more conventional ‘art feed’ page is needed, to see new submissions in a familiar way.
- There’s currently no way to see who faved or promoted a submission, or how many views it has.
What’re we working on for next week?
- Collections improvements
- Multimedia support for GIFs, video and audio content
- Building pages for the Commissions system
- Code of Conduct and Acceptable Upload Policy
- User bans and blocking tools
Here’s all the changes we made this week:
- Staff icon displayed on character profiles, comments, PMs for site admin
- Tags display vertically for single site submissions on toggle
- All instances of usernames across the site link to character’s profile
- File sizes and supported types are now displayed as upload requirements in submission manager and for banner/avatar uploads
- Blacklist tags was moved to content settings in the user settings panel
- Fuzzy character search was added to Community section
- Full timestamps now display when hovering comments or submissions
- Follow counts on profiles are now clickable
- Default blacklist tags are now automatically added to all user profiles
- Updated tag search on browse sections to limit number of results (Previously displaying all site tags)
Thank you everyone!
-Varka and the Furry Network team